Tuesday, April 8, 2008

The Coremandel: Edited 4/10/08






My last post skipped so many things, I just couldn't think of anything to write about!
Before I got to Paihia we were in the small town of Haihei, which was pretty cool. We stayed in a little backpackers, which was just a couple rooms in the bottom floors of this couples house. It was really homie and very close to the beach, which was perfect. We ended up going to hot water beach at low tide on one of the days. It was pretty cool. We got a shovel from the house we stayed at and I spent about two hours digging sand to try and make a hot water pool. Because of the way the tide was coming in it would destroy the sand walls of my pool, over and over and over again. It was really cool though, the water was boiling hot in some places! When it mixed with some sea water it was a really nice temperature. I have some pictures of me sitting and laying down in the water, which I'll post on here as soon as I get a faster computer, probably tomorrow. Other than that we took some pictures and walked around to Cathedral Cove, which was really pretty.
It's a beautiful day here (in Paihia) today and many hours will be spent in the sun or in kyacks on the water! Pictures soon, here and on facebook!
POST EDIT, ADDED BIT:
This is pictures from Hot Water Beach, the water was really hot, but I could never get my pool very big because the tide kept filling it with water. At one point, people we had been digging with, an older couple was about to leave and wanted to see me lay down in the pool. I had been digging, the same hole, for over an hour and they wanted to see me lay down in it before they left after such work. When I layed down there was a cheer from the crowd, even though it wasn't a spectacular pool, I was happy I finally laid down in something!
The other pictures are from Opotiki the day before. The place we stayed was right on the beach and had free boogie boards and kayaks for us to use. The day before the surf was twice as good, but we had cameras this time. Still a ton of fun. As soon as I started kayaking I got hit by a wave sideways and took a spill, was a great way to start my photo shoot! haha!
I'm excited to come home and see all the friends and family again! Things have been super-duper, but not much compares to you guys back home. I may end up having Lijanne come out to the States to visit too. We've been talking about it, after she gets done with her travels near the beginning of June. That would be bringing back some of the best I've found over here!
I'll make a call in the next day or two and try and set up a date for some sailing, I hope. I'll watch out for spiky things and sharks as well!
Oh yeah, I'm back in Paihia Tim, which means I have access to that super gym again! You will be dominated this Summer. Even if I don't come back as strong, my superior tanned skin will make me skate smoothly along the water, while your white flesh burns and cries out in the hot Summer sun!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Now you're my kind of vacation. Sit around and enjoy the relaxed atmosphere. I love those vacations.

Jackie and I made it through Disneyland. It was very crowded - the last of the spring break weekends I think. We walked all over for 4 days (Saturday through Tuesday) and rode an awful lot of rides. I liked quite a few of them, but my favorite is probably Pirates of the Caribbean. One, because the wait is usually only 15 minutes and two, the ride is fairly long and relaxing. Jackie and I finally figured out how to ride the roller coaster (California Screamin) as singles instead of in a group - meaning we could make it through the line much faster. We were also the only ones on Space Mountain one early morning. I'm glad I went...but I think of it like Vegas. Something to experience now and then, but certainly not something you want to do a lot of. Pretty impressive place though.

I agree with your dad, you should take a Hobie out. The small ones aren't hard to handle and it should be a relaxing voyage. Just don't tip it over - it's rough getting it upright with one person. Especially if there are sharks. We had an older Hobie in Michigan that just got replaced with a smaller one. The old one was great, but the pontoons were so old that they'd let water in slowly. So as you're out sailing, you're slowly taking on water and sinking. We'd sail back to the beach with the pontoons completely under the water. Guess it prevents you from going too fast or tipping over easily. The new one is smaller, but watertight - an important quality to have in a boat.

I want to put Bill's tow bar on pretty soon, but I don't know when he's planning on it. Jackie, Troy and I are headed up to Bham this week to visit with Quan/Ben/Ramiro and play some Rock Band.

That's about it from this side of the water. Soak up some sun - we're still not seeing a whole lot of it.

Ben said...

Watch out for hedgehogs man!

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5iviTSRWLbbZCho0CilrBHdpBxFHQD8VT8K581