Friday, March 28, 2008

The East Cape here I come!

Hey, just a short note before my internet money runs out and I leave Wellington. We checked out the free museum in Wellington, which was really cool, better than a lot of paid ones in the states. It had a ton about Maori culture too which is really cool stuff. I took some pictures of the Maori weapons and sailing craft. I'll see about posting some on here when I get a chance.
Lijanne and I rented a car for 9 days. It's going to take us up the east side. We will stop in Napier, which is wine country and a art town, that should be cool. Then it's off to Maori land and the East Cape. It's supposed to be beautiful there and really neat cultural experience, here's hoping! After that we go to hot water beach, where you can dig you own hole in the sand if the tides right and it fills up with super hot water you can soak in!
The rugby game was pretty cool. It was about the worst seats in the house, but it was a smaller stadium, so I could still see quite well. Got a couple good videos in there, hard to capture as I just wanted to watch the game the whole time, obviously.
Times almost up, things are still going great! More when I can!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dain,

The east looks really neat. Usually the locals are on the windy side, just like in Hawaii. The invaders take over the kings palace where the winds are light, the beaches long and the waves more benign. And yet, the power and strength of a place comes from the crashing sea and the whistling wind! The gentle side of the island encourages sloth and lolling. Great for a holiday. Not so good for promoting life. So, enjoy and absorb the nature of the native peoples and the strength of the spirit and muscle that I am sure they possess in copious quantities. Learn a Maori song! It's time you started to sing!

Love, Dad

Unknown said...

Aw cmon Dave, I thought we'd stick with singing Queen after the excellent job we did awhile back?

I think the locals figured out a long time ago that you can jack up the prices for the prime real estate and sell the land to the tourists for far more than its worth. Then you go live on the other side of the island where the weather isn't quite as nice, and the views aren't quite as awe-inspiring...but you still live in an awesome locale and you've lined your pockets with $$. That's one route, anyway.

Everyone is asking when you return Dain. I can't remember exactly myself, but I know it's somewhere in the April 20th timeframe. It was odd, but being asked that made me think of how I am away from my home (Colorado) and how much I miss it - and my family - on occasion. Going somewhere else and experiencing new things and people is undoubtedly beneficial and a worthwhile endeavor...but it's when you can be anyone you want that you really discover who you are. I had to come to Washington for that. I doubt you had to go to NZ for it, but I'm sure it's had an effect on you nonetheless. It's just amazing to me that going somewhere else teaches you so much about yourself, and in so doing makes you appreciate where - and who - you come from. You can't buy that kind of perspective.

Perhaps an overly emo post on my part, but I know you'll understand.

See you soon buddy.