Saturday, March 15, 2008

Tauranga and Mt Maunganui

Well, pictures just won't load properly on this site, which is too bad. What I have found is that I can easily put a link at the end of my post to my facebook albums and there you can see all the pictures I have up, not just the 4 or 5 I liked best! Most of the pictures have some sort of caption on them so you can get a feel for what's going on, otherwise it'll just be a picture of some amazing NZ scenery.
LiLu and I went to Tauranga, which is on the Bay of Plenty and went for a hike there up Mt Maunganui which was really cool. I got some great shots which are already on facebook so I'll make a link to that at the end of the post. We've been eating quite well too. Lijanne's father is a chef in the military so she grew not eating crap, as such I have been adapting to this behavior myself. We made a noodle dish the other night that Quan and I used to eat back in college. Then we made some excellent spaghetti with meat sauce, a pork dish with risotto rice, peppers, carrots, broccoli and seasoned to perfection! I might come back with more skills than I left with! Currently we are in Rotorua, which is a natural hot springs town, it's smells of sulfur to some degree at every point in the town and there is no need for hot water heaters, they just pump the natural hot springs through piping to heat everything up. We have an excellent view from our hostel and are going to head out to the local hot springs park today where I'll be sure to take tons of pictures!
Tomorrow we head of to Waitomo, which is a town based solely around huge underground caves! We are doing a caving trip that should be an experience of the lifetime! It's not like the normal commercial guided tours and is a five person max group that is guided through caves deeper than any commercial trip out there! It sounds really intense and I hope it is! They have a waterproof camera that the guides take pictures with and a CD with them is part of the package so you will all get to see part of what I see too!
It's too bad that St. Patty's day falls the day before our extreme tour as that means it'll be a quite night for rest for us. It's my favorite holiday too!
I was planning on doing a bungee and a skydive in Taupo in the next week, but funds will probably not allow such behavior. The skydive above lake Taupo is said to be amazing, and because Taupo is the skydive capital of the world, there is no cheaper place to do it! I'll be this caving trip is going to beat the pants off of it though. With 4 hours underground I can't see how 45 seconds of anything could beat it.
Anyway, I still really don't have any pictures of LiLu, I'll try and get some of her today in the hot springs posing away.
Tauranga and Mt Maunganui: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2106586&l=798b2&id=25904364

2 comments:

Unknown said...

That tree is pretty big too.

I tried leaving a comment the other day. Typed out 4 paragraphs and then of course the site crapped and it never made it on. Commence retypage:

Glad you're making it to the gym. I've been slacking lately. Troy got sick and I've been working my ass off due to some pretty hectic timelines at work. That's the way it goes sometimes. We all snuck into LA Fitness today though. The equipment is a lot nicer, but the place lacks character. Dan has been making it into the gym consistently and running; he's doing a lot better. He says he's gonna whoop on us when we get out on the lake. We'll see about that.

The trees are finally budding and some have even opened up. It's only a matter of time now. I'm ready to be done with winter.

Troy and I got all of your Guitar Hero 2 hard songs beat, all the medium songs 5 starred and we're now working on the easy and expert ones. Expert rocks my face. Quan, Kara, Steve, Dan and Sarah (Dan's new squeeze) came by last night. Quan owned everyone at GH but then I went undefeated on Soul Calibur. Kilik pwns. Good times were had. We've all mellowed out since college which I think is a good thing. Then again, I've always been a mellow one.

Jackie says hi and is also glad you're having a good time. She says her school needs a PE teacher!

Not sure if I told you, but we got the tow bar in for Bill's boat. It won't be put on for a few more months (what's the point?) but it's here. I also ordered a train horn for my truck - it should be here Monday. Now when I get off the exit in the mountains and honk, everyone at the cabin will hear me. I also bought a blu-ray player for my computer and got Planet Earth. If you want to watch some high def stuff when you got back, now you can.

Off to an Olive Garden dinner. Keep having fun, and stay safe.

Anonymous said...

Dain:

The shot you took of that parasail from the top of the mountain is awesome! It looks like you leaped off of the top to take it.

Pics of LiLu, please. We have shots of tropical scenery and we know what you look like. She is one in six-billion.

Dad and Sharon