Friday, March 7, 2008

Soon it's time to move on!


Well then, I've pretty much done everything I set out to do in Paihia now. There is still one thing left to see, a huge forest just west. The tour is $89 (nothing is cheap) and will take me to the biggest tree in NZ! It's 4 meters thick, and 51 meters high! It's supposed to be about 2000 years old!
I just got done with the thing that was holding me in Paihia so long, I got a tattoo on my shoulder! It's not too big and can be covered easily by even just a t-shirt so it won't affect me in any way professionally. I was trying to figure out a way to tell people back home or even if I should just wait till I got home and shock everyone. There is a Maori guy here that you tell the story of your life too and he translates pieces of it into Maori art. He is really busy with his work so it took a long time for me to get in to see him. I'm trying to figure out the best way to showcase it so I won't post any pictures yet. It turned out really sweet but I want to tell the story of it when I show everyone. So I'll probably make a video and try and post it here so everyone can see what it all symbolizes. It'll probably be 5 or 6 days before I post anything on it, it's a cliff hanger like off of young and the restless!! AHHH
We had a toga party last night which went pretty well. I made pockets in mine using pins so I had a bit for money and my camera, it was brilliant! I would post those pics but they show the tattoo so it'll have to wait!
The rest of the pictures are from my trip up north with my guides Marty, Brandon, me, and Bushman Pete (from left to right). I was doing a handstand at a beautiful beach on the way up to our campsite. The water picture is of our campsite, and I slept pretty much right in the spot I took the picture. The trees hang over the water, so a few of us were lounging in the tree above this pristine water.
I'm going to be in Paihia for another four days, then I travel down south and meet up with Lijanne where we will travel the rest of the south island together. I can't believe how fast money goes, even when you are trying so hard to save! It's incredible but oh so worth it! I have only one picture of her right now and it's not my favorite, so It'll be a few days before I see her again and get some proper pictures put up!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

A toga party with 4 girls and one Ceasar. A consummation devoutly to be wished! I am sure there were other people there but WHO CARES!

I see you decided to do the south island afterall. Probably a wise choice and sharing with Lijanne may make it more economical while also more rich. I checked the topography and the south looks like Hawaii with its many mountain ridges. The mountain lakes are what look truly amazing-huge and I am sure, pure. Look forward to the next update. Congratulations on the tatoo. I am glad you passed on the Maori face version as cool as they are. Alex next door will be particularly interested in the story and design.

Love Dad and Shari

Unknown said...

I went to do the same tattoo thing with a native american tattoo guy...but after my life story he kept insisting that he give me a tattoo depicting me owning you at tubing. I told him that was exceedingly accurate, but I don't need a tattoo to know how much better I am than you at tubing. He conceded.

Tim: 1, Dain: 392, but I'm gaining!

Unknown said...

I'm excited to see your tattoo Daindo, and I can't wait for the story. I miss you!