Saturday, February 9, 2008

Time to Move



Well, Auckland was interesting. Met some cool people, but just not enough to do in the city. Every night is a drink fest, I went to bed about 1:30 in the morning and that was hours before any of my other roommates got in. I am happy to report that I could drink any of these forgeiners under the table, with the exception of a brit named Berry, he was pretty stout.

The first day I was in I wondered around town, I didn't think I was out that long but I for sure look like the stupid American tourist. I look like a lobster, but it's cool, now no one can tell when I'm blushing.

So far I've met the most germans, and they've been pretty cool, everyone in fact has been pretty cool, once you start up a conversation. Even met a guy in the bar, deaf pool shark he was. Kicked my arse pretty soundly.

I plan on taking a bus out of town and then hitching my way up to the bay of islands next, which should be an adventure. Trying to save money, I spend about $100 a day, so this trip is going to be very short unless I start figuring out how I can save money, even McDonalds is expensive the portions are for small children!

I may try and steal New Zealander's best jobs from them and work under the table picking fruit, we'll see what I can get away with. I guess you can make like $13 an hour doing it, who knew! Minimum wage is $11.50 over here.

Don't know when I'm going to be in a town again, I need to see about doing more camping and cooking because all the adventure things to do cost anywhere from $100 to $400!

Picture of the bay near the shipping yard and one of the nights at the club, both roommates, a german guy and ausie chick.
Take luck, and good luck taking caring for the luck you have!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to see you're doing well. Bummer on the $$. World travel is expensive!

Anonymous said...

Dainer! Figured it was time to check and see that you survived stage one. I was very impressed by your last comments. In any adventure, there is some boredom. I imagine it will be that way when the Hawaii sailing trip happens. Part of the adjustment is changing pace. Walk slow, drink slow, take time to look and appreciate the little things. As you mentioned, the big things cost from $100 to $400 dollars! Think of the hermit on the mountaintop. Simplify, contemplate, and figure out what you can give that will be valuable (time, talent, etc.). When the giving starts, the flow the other direction usually follows.

A three week trip would have been more like a vacation one imagines with all of the expenses attached. You wanted a different experience and you are on your way to having one. I am sure once you settle into the pace, the solution to making it unbelievable will emerge.

Sharon misses you and is very happy to know you made it safely. I don't miss you yet because I know you need time to wrestle up some good stories. Look forward to your next entry.

Love to you, rascal, from up-over.

Dad and Shari-mom

Anonymous said...

Hey Dain,
Enjoy the journey
love, Uncle Frank, Auntie Pam

Anonymous said...

Glad to see you're having a good time! We thought we'd check when Karin was in the other room. Can you put some pictures of cats up for us? We've never seen a down-under cat.

Love, Nantucket & Meriwether