Thursday, February 28, 2008

Trip of a lifetime!


Wowwie woowie wow!
What a trip of a lifetime! It cost me $95 for the most amazing time I've had here!
We started out traveling up north to our campsite and stopped for some pictures at some pretty spots, then went to the campsite. There was a dock there where we could dive off into amazingly warm ocean water, my facebook picture is from that. The site was amazing, right on a cliff side that dropped into the most beautiful bay. We went down for a swim, the 5 of us that went, and relaxed in the water, it was about 4 feet for a mile around! Later we kayaked across the bay to the white sand dunes, where we walked around and played on the dunes, they were beautiful! After that we went back to the boats, got out the fishing gear, and started at catching dinner! Of course I have the most fishing experience and I was the only one not to catch a fish! We went back to the campsite and started cooking up the fish that was just caught. It was food after food for six hours! We started with fish and veg and then moved on to more and more, potatoes etc. At the end we had some boar our guides had caught earlier with potatoes, it was awesome. We did some spear throwing at night with a homemade spear that Bushman Pete made for boar hunting. There was a log about 10 meters away and I was the only one to nail it out of our three guides and another guy. Speaking of guides, ours were legendary! We had Bushman Pete, Marty and Brandon (A Maori guy). They were really nice, tons of fun and a riot to listen to at night. We slept out under that stars that night and in the morning I woke up early and saw the sun rise! I caught it about 40 minutes before and saw it turn pink, then golden, then rise, it was amazing, got lots of pictures of it. After that everyone else started waking up and Pete, Brandon and myself went down to the beach to catch me a fish, caught 4 snappers down there in like 30 minutes, it was awesome, the fish were biting left and right!
After that we started our way up to the cape, where the Tasman sea and the pacific meet. It was amazing, and since we were such a small group and left so early we beat all the bus crowds that come up there! Then we went sand boarding, which was a lot of fun, Tom, the other guy that went with us tried to stand up and biffed hard hard. He smashed his head good and busted his ankle, still swollen today, 4 days later. Then we went down the 90 mile beach about half way, flying down the beach in a van trying not to get stuck in the sand. It was pretty cool to see, but we couldn't stop for fear of getting stuck in the sand. When the tide got to high to continue we took a shortcut back to the highway and saw a pack of wild horses! I got some pictures and thought of you Kara!
On the way back we stopped at a little shop where they battered up the snapper I caught earlier that day and we had fish and chips! Then we took a scenic route back to Paihia through the bush, which was beautiful and stopped randomly on the side of the road. We went through some of the brush and went down to a fresh river/creek running next to the highway. Next to it was a real spring water spring, full of minerals. We all took a sip, strong stuff, and then some water out of the river, which was amazingly fresh. We had a little swim and then continued on home, where I spent the next two days pretty much sleeping. It was the trip of a lifetime and was dirt cheap! Got a discount because I'm working at the hostel too.
I've met a lot of really cool people coming in and out of Paihia and will probably be here for another two weeks before I continue my journey of the rest of the island.
Doing things like this and talking to people I've decided that any organized tour just skips too many things and I can't be bothered trying to whirlwind both island on the little money I have. I have lived very cheaply so far, but even so, it just costs too much to try and do everything and I figured it would put me into debt about $1500 on top of the $2000 I have now to do both islands, and that would be missing out on so much! So that said, I plan on only doing the north island this time around, even though from what everyone says the south is better. It gives me a reason to come back! There is still so much to do and see, I can't wait to do all the little things that the north island has to offer! I'm loading tons of pictures on facebook for people to see, I'll try and add photos on this blog too, the highlights, but there are just so many pictures and this blog doesn't do a good job with placing pictures or loading them.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Well I believe if you go back, you should drag some of us along with you...and you can be our tour guide!

Live it up.

Anonymous said...

AMAZING!

... I agree with Tim


-Bell

Unknown said...

Your trip sounds amazing so far Daindo! Looks like your seeing some spectacular sites, and meeting some cool people. I wish I was there! Next time for sure, count me in! Keep having a great time!
Love ya!

Anonymous said...

yep! let's all go back! i'm glad you're having such a good time...ahhh traveling!!!